When I say party, I absolutely mean 2018. New Years is one of my favorite holidays because it means a whole world of possibilities. Everyone and their mama is using this time to reflect on their goals, hopes, and aspirations for the next 365 days. Why should I be any different? When my friends and family asked me what my resolution was this year, I froze faster than this current winter chill. I’ve never really liked that word because to me, resolution seems so impersonal and distant. Resolutions are often forgotten and abandoned by the end of January. I’ve decided to set goals for myself this year, something I will take steps towards. The word goal is so much more fitting for three reasons. One, I can have a long list of goals. Two, goals can be added or changed as needed throughout the year. Three, goals are more specific. With all of that being said, one way of being successful with your goals is to make them public. Here goes nothing!
- Get married. This one is so obvious, but it’s what I’m the most excited for in 2018. Some of you may be saying, “Katie, that doesn’t count as a goal.” I’m letting it slide because it’s something I want to happen this year and I have a lot of steps to take for it to happen.
- Be more organized. David is pumped that this is one of my goals for the new year. Cleaning and keeping things tidy in the apartment is not my speciality. It’s not that I flat out avoid organizing, it’s just that I get so focused on all the other things that I have going on, it becomes really easy for things to start piling up. The next thing I know, the apartment is cluttered and I get overwhelmed on where to begin cleaning. By cleaning a little every night, I will save myself from used up weekends and headaches.
- Reach a happy weight. With the wedding just six months away, this is a given. I’m pretty sure I packed on quite a few pounds this holiday season, or at least I feel like I did. It’s really hard to say no to snacks and treats from your co-workers and especially my students. I’m not calling for any huge life change, I’m just want to start returning to my normal eating and exercising routine. I’ll be so happy to be back! With all of that done, I’m sure my wedding dress will fit like a dream in no time.
- Finish my Italian lessons. Sometime in 2017 I started Italian language lessons on DuoLingo and haven’t quite finished. At the beginning of December, I was about 50% of the way done with the program, but it just hasn’t been consistent. I in no way way feel half way fluent in Italian. My specific goal for this is to be 100% completed and fluently speaking by the time we fly out to Italy in July.
- Increase my following. This is so much easier said than done. There is a whole sea of fantastic bloggers out there, who I greatly admire. As the tiny fish, it sometimes feels almost impossible for me to make a name for myself. To increase my following this year, I am going to try and put myself out there more. This could mean talking with more of my favorite bloggers, attend more events, and create content that people are going to want to read. It’s going to be a lot of work, but I have such a great cheering section between my family, friends, and co-workers.
- Fine tune my brand. I know how I would define my style: classic with the slightest touch of boho. As I was reviewing my looks and outfits from last year, I realized that I may have gotten “off brand.” The temptation of trends got to me and I wound up posting outfits that I didn’t really care for, colors that weren’t my style, and overall things that didn’t inspire me. As I start planning out my content this year, I’m going to stick with what I truly love, not what is popular or hope will get me a lot of likes.
- Work closely with at least one of my favorite companies. Isn’t this what every style blogger wants? I have a few brands in mind that I have been loyal to for many, many years. To be noticed enough to work with them may just be one of the biggest sources of validation I can think of. J Crew, Kate Spade, Lilly Pulitzer, LOFT, and Tuckernuck are the big names on this list of brands that I simply adore.
- Add more travel. It’s so fun styling outfits, but it’s travel that I love to write about. Just planning a trip makes me happy, even if I don’t end up going on it. The world is such a big place with an infinite number of cities to explore, foods to try, and people to talk to. 2018 through 2019 is lining up to be a big travel year (both domestic and international) but I’m always open to more. Through this blog, I hope to get more opportunities to see the world and share my adventures.
Like I said earlier, goals can always be added and changed. Right now this is what I have my eyes set on in 2018. I’m hoping they turn out to be a cake walk, but I know that they will all need attention for me to find success. I hope you all reach your goals this year and if you are looking for one more to add to your support system, comment below what you hope to accomplish.
Love from Florida,