Let me tell y’all, I love where I live! St. Pete, Florida is definitely an up and coming city and I’m so excited to be part of the change. Being one of the few locals in my group of friends, I often get asked, “doesn’t it feel weird to be so close to where you grew up?” Not at all! I actually grew up in Palm Harbor, just 45 minutes north of St. Pete. Palm Harbor is great, but in comparison it just doesn’t have the fun, young vibe that a 20-something gal would be looking for.
I have plans for a St. Pete Travel Guide to be coming out next week, but until then, I wanted to pump you all up with a quick list of what makes SP, aka the Sunshine City, so wonderful.
- We Have the Sunshine: The Sunshine City definitely lives up to its name. We average 361 days of sunshine and even hold the World Record for most consecutive days of sun (768). It’s really hard not to fall in love with a city that offers so much Vitamin D all year round. As I’m writing this, the local temp is 72 and sunny… In the middle of February!
- We’re Friendly Folks: Almost everyday, I go run on the Tampa Bay and through downtown. On these runs, I see all kinds of people (because we are welcoming to all walks of life). Almost all of them, though, have a warm smile on their face. People from all over the country decide to make St. Pete their new home, and they are clearly happy with the decision.
- We’ve Got the Beaches: St. Pete is almost completely surrounded by water. To the west, we give way to St. Pete Beach and other Gulf Beaches. On the east, we have Tampa Bay. In between we have plenty of intercostal ways and canals. Trust me, there are plenty of opportunities to enjoy the life aquatic no matter what your interest is: kayaking, sailing, boating, fishing, or sunbathing.
- We HEART Art: Did you know that our tiny city offers 3 art museums? One of them, the Salvador Dali Museum, offers the largest collection of Dali’s work in the country. Currently, they are also exhibiting Frida Kahlo’s work. Artists also have an opportunity to take their work to the streets. Sprinkled all throughout downtown, you will find breathtaking murals. I always seem to find a new mural that I never noticed before. Our city is always changing.
- We’re Dog Friendly: It’s hard to have an evening in St. Pete without running into four-legged friends. All throughout the city, you will find well-cared for dog parks and green space, this includes 2 dog beaches. Many of our restaurants offer outdoor seating, make them dog friendly too.
- Our Restaurants Are Fantastic: There are really too many restaurants to name in one sitting. I want to make sure I do the local restaurants the justice they deserve in next week’s Travel Guide. No matter what you’re craving, we’ve got you covered.
I hope you know that this only the tip of the ice-burg (St. Pete pun). We have been called one of the most beautiful cities in the USA, the best city for millennials, and one of the most underrated cities in the US. And, I haven’t even started on the music, craft, and racing culture we have here!! St. Pete is no longer just a city for a old folks to retire too.
Be sure to check back next week for a break down on my favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, and things to do in the Sunshine City. What other things would you like to hear about?
The Coastal Stylist